Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I Have Saved a Life and I Feel God...I Mean Good

Hopefully I am alone in this, but I have a two story great room and the windows seem to attract birds.  They reflect the clouds at certain times of day.  Being birds...they fly right into the windows. THUNK!  Happened yesterday.

Dove Peace fly Mourning Dove Pictures
Similar

We, meaning me and a handful of others, often hope that when things get hairy we will react with full fledge heroism.  The old flight or fight...I'll be a fighter!!!  Or maybe not.  I am constantly reminded by my family that I am an " every man for one's self" kinda gal.  And really a "don't get in my fucking way" kinda gal...yes Jennifer, I have given up on the no swearing.  Many moons ago, we purchased property adjacent to ours.  On said property was a very old, old, nasty old building, probably the original dwelling.  Let's go explore said adventurous husband and two prepubescent children.  FINE.  Let's go inside.  FINE.  And then "it" happened.  Something furry ran past me brushing my leg.  I have to admit, because unfortunately I have three witnesses, I took both hands, shoved my young son down on the ground and ran screaming like a girl.  Not my finest moment.  I have been ridiculed ever sense.

Girl screaming

Back to the bird...the poor dove, pigeon, flying rat, what have you lay on our back deck just waiting to be the prized catch for Cricket aka Evil Kitty.  Oh it was sad, eyes closing, shallow breathing.  Do I put it out of it's misery?  Another story....

Moe.  Named after a Stooge.


Few years back, big black vulture just sitting at the end of our driveway.  WTH?  Next day, it has moved right next to our house by the trash cans...obviously can not fly.  Moe, my blind old kitty was still kicking.. Kinda cool, in an annoying way, he used echolocation to find his way around and still went outside.  This bird was going to eat my kitty, it sensed weakness.  I tried, and tried, and tried to get it to move on.  The three dogs wanted nothing to do with it.  It was scary.  I managed to shoo it into the yard but even I was scared of it.  Time for Tyler to be a man.  Get the shovel son.  What?!  Time to be a man.  As I watched Tyler whack the poor bird not once, not twice...sucker wouldn't die.  I was so deeply sad for the bird.  Afterwards Tyler came right up to me and said, " Don't ever ask me to do that again."


Yea, that's it

Back to my dove....I swaddled it in a towel and placed it where it would be safe from critters.  I checked regularly over the course of four hours.  Finally, it was gone.  I can only believe that it rested, recovered, and continued on with life.  I did good.



14 comments:

  1. Good for you to save a life. We call those kamikaze birds-daredevils to the end as they crash into our single story tall windows-at least 2-3 times a year. DH has to deal with those creatures-no way I'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a man's job to put creatures out of their misery. This event happened while I was sitting in bed, reading the paper and had direct line of sight to the poor thing. I was miserable until I knew/ thought it had recovered.

      Delete
  2. You did do good. I'm sure it's having a fine time somewhere telling it's bird friends to avoid your windows. I hate to even look outside when I hear that thud. I'm really a chicken shit when it comes to that stuff...I did take a kamikaze bird to the vet once... when the kids were little. Ruined my shoe box but I felt like a hero.
    xo~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have only taken a bunny to the vet after a cat got ahold of it. Did not have a happy ending.

      Delete
  3. Well done! I am thinking of giving up swearing because everyone in my house is swearing these days and frankly, I find it so off-putting that I will try and model something better. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow decided the f word should be used with much frequency. I have always believed a choice swear word used ever so subtlety is effective. Every other sentence...not so much.

      Delete
  4. You employed the very same Florence Nightingale technique that was used at Alconleigh. A hurt animal was given a comfortable bed and placed in the sun to heal naturally. When our black cat Elvis broke his back it was winter so he recuperated in the closet up in the attic hallway and was hand fed for a few weeks before he walked out on his own and came downstairs. Seems to work like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature is amazing. Thought this old bird was a goner but hoped and prayed I was wrong. Yay!!

      Delete
  5. ...babies left to fend for themselves against marauding beasts, Cricket fielding ricochets off the picture window, and vulture versus human gladiatorial combat on the front lawn...and I thought Chicago could be dicey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eastern Tennessee is quite rough. On any given person, only one eye will be looking at you.

      Delete
  6. Awww. We saved a chipmunk from the pool filter once. The children and I put it on the lawn and gave it water and cheerios and protected it from birds and then he got up and ran off and the children cheered. To this day they still speak of the day we saved the chipmunk. I could not stand to tell them that the very next day, when I cleaned out the filter basket, he (or an identical twin) had got sucked in again and this time was not so lucky. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete