Monday, January 6, 2014

Tale of Two Purses - J Crew vs. Banana Republic

I did not have much success with clothing this season.  In fact, most were returned and a few that were kept have remained in my closet unworn.  I did get one cute little purse from Banana Republic right before Vegas that worked out GREAT for holding a drink in one hand and playing slots with the other.  So, when I saw this little thing on final sale I said " Why not?!"


Quilted mini-purse




 The BR purse was roughly $50 minus 30% off,  The J Crew was $138, now $100 minus 40% off.  So doing the math…  $35 versus $60.  And yes you can tell a difference.  BR is fake leather.  J Crew is buttery soft leather.  The BR is a deep hunter's green with slightly gold hardware.  J Crew is off white with silver hardware.  BR has a toggle closure.  J Crew has a magnetic closure.


 Back view.  Both have a back pocket.

*Cricket is NOT amused*



 Inside BR has one small pocket.



 J Crew has a small pocket, a zippered pocket, and one more additional pocket.  Hmmm, what do they expect you to carry in such a small purse?


BR remains this width no matter what.  J Crew can be thin or it will expand.


Chain attached to outside.


 Chain detail…this is definitely where you can tell cheap leather.


No padding or leather on chain.  Not uncomfortable.


 How chain is attached to purse.




I am 5'6.  Neither chain is adjustable.  Prefer length of BR.



 Trying to show color against a Gap white button down.

 I do have problems with small purses because I always need to bring my sunglasses.  I have "special" eyes.  These are my essentials:


 Sunglasses, phone, dental floss (this has become a relatively recent issue…receding gums?), pill box (antacids…not so recent), and lipstick.  Peanut is modeling it all for you since Cricket is now royally pissed, not to be seen again until tomorrow morning.



 It all fits and stays shut.  The BR purse has long been sold out.  If J Crew had this in a dark green (not the bright green) at the sale price minus 40%, I would purchase and replace.  I think this will be fantastic in the spring/summer.   I am feeling subtle shades for the warm season…Radiant Orchid can kiss my hiney... and the off white will be perfect.  

I want this…

Anthro Green Chambray
and this…



 and this…

Lilla P perfect tee
and these…

 and this is just perfect…

Luxe

Sigh.  Soon.  Very soon.

19 comments:

  1. I like the jcrew quilted purse,but i have not seen it IRL( i think).
    Hopefully the cold weather will soon depart the south,even though its nothing against the weather in Germany:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's freezing! Stay warm...I assume school is cancelled. Have fun with your girls.

      Delete
  2. I used to work in the luggage industry and funny enough the smaller the bag the more compartment is needed by everything spills out when you look for your keys. But bro is def overpriced for the details in comparison. Quite like the jc one and I think it is a classic design you can't go wrong with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the separate zippered compartment for my "wallet". Don't always need a small purse but when I do, this will work great.

      Delete
  3. The colour on the JC bag is Class all the way so suits you perfectly! You must get those outfits and especially the dress, how pretty. I have those dental floss things in my bag too, is this getting older? If so it is yet another sucky thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime I eat any type of meat I get food stuck...annoying. I can not buy anything until I have gone through my clothes. Hopefully, they will be on sale by then :)

      Delete
  4. I love a small bag, but need to schlep so much crap around that it's hard - do love the JC one!
    I have a Coach Penny bag that holds almost all I need, but only if I leave my inside glasses at home! the horrors of middle-age. I find I need dental floss more these days too....what's that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and HNY! sorry i've been absent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you also! When carrying a small bag I have to tell Hunter I won't be carrying his readers.

      Delete
  6. I always have to fit my sunglasses too, it is always a dealbreaker. I love the looks of the J. Crew quilted purse but it is too small for me. I don't need a lot more space, but just a bit more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough to find the perfect size. This works for me when touring, trolling, pub crawling, etc.

      Delete
  7. I like the JC one but I schlep too much stuff to fit it all in there. Dental floss is just the beginning of my essentials. I need two pairs of glasses! I love those sandals. I can't quite read the brand. Who makes them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sandals are Kork-ease Faith Sandals and they are on sale for $93 at nordstroms.

      Delete
  8. I am like Jennifer - I usually schlep too much for such a small bag, but I like these quite well. Your choices are lovely, I am not even looking at the sites so am bring good. Will keep trying to abstain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look but just pin right now. I am trying to abstain from things I can not actually wear right now. These bags are not for everyday use but I do like a small bag when touring.

      Delete
  9. Considering the many things I like to acquire, it is funny that I don't have much interest in purses or bags. When I went to look up your lovely J Crew purse I realized that there is a separate category besides accessories. Guess it's just not one of my go to departments. Three or four years ago I bought the a little Tory Burch bag that can be used either as a clutch or with a metal chain shoulder strap. I liked it well enough so I got the same one in black, gold and silver and they work for about 90% of my dress up stuff. Of course they are only big enough for a cell phone, lipstick and license if I am the DD. Glasses must wait in the car! Now if only I could show as much restraint when thinking about shoes! I am trying though ........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a one bag person...too lazy to change out...but do need a bit of variety. Shoes, love!

      Delete
  10. What a great line! that has to be the line for 2014 "Radiant Orchid can kiss my hiney." I pared down to a camel bag last year and its ruffed up and too boho for most occasions but now I'm really obsessed with the small and spare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite are the Rebecca Minkoff Bags which are very comfortable to carry and i can keep so many things in. They are really worth of purchasing.

    ReplyDelete